At the 2009 LREDA Fall Con, a group of interim religious educators gathered informally in the lobby to dream about a support organization for the specialized field of interim religious education. Over the next several years, this group expanded and organized. In 2016, the Guild of Interim Religious Education became an official organization. During all of this time, our mission is clear: support of religious educators who have identified transition and change in their portfolio, provide continued education because learning never ends, and advocate for the valuable work of interim religious education. Today, the leadership exists with the Executive Team and the broader programmatic work of the Steering Team.
- Support interim religious education professionals and settle religious education professionals who see the value of the interim process in their ministry;
- Advocate for interim religious education work in Unitarian Universalist congregations;
- Provide continuing education for GIRE members (and other UU professionals as possible). To learn more about upcoming education experiences, go to our Education page.
Meet the Executive Team
The executive team is responsible for overseeing the organization, handling legal and financial matters, and setting the mission and vision.
Membership is open to anyone who engages with transition with their religious education professional work. The Guild supports the work of interim, transitional, and developmental religious education ministry and its practitioners in faith-based communities. To be a member, one must:
- Wish to connect with others engaged in transitional interim religious education work.
- Be a member of the Liberal Religious Educators Association (LREDA).
- Have completed the UUA’ interim religious education or professional interim training (PIT).
To become a member, please see details on our Membership page.